I’ve spent a good amount of years working in the cosmetic industry as a consultant, representative, employee and customer. (this post includes affiliate links) The routine is always the same. The products may differ, but the routine is what’s important.
Science teaches us that the skin responds to our efforts, environments and consistency.
When we drink plenty of fluids, exercise, protect it… we live better.
Here’s the basic facial skin care routine, my two cents are listed in red.
- Cleanse twice daily. Use a cleanser (not soap) that meets your skin’s needs. Moisture in everything… plus oatmeal or lavendar if your skin is easily irritated. Exfoliating “beads” (if you work outdoors or are in a dirty environment) – there are cleansers for every skin type! Be sure to PAT dry… don’t rub your sweet skin!
- Exfoliate. When you exfoliate a couple times each week, you open up your skin to the benefits of moisture and any other treatment you provide. Without removing the dead cells, the treatments and rich moisture applied will just sit on top… wasted. There are all types of exfoliators. Every company has their top seller and the price ranges are unbelievable. Shop wisely. One tip: don’t use dipilitories or products containing alcohol immediatly after exfoliating unless you want to enjoy an uncomfortable stinging sensation and possible redness afterward.
- MOISTURIZE, girl! After showers, while your pores are warm and cozy and OPEN, take advantage of opportunity to give your all-over skin a break! Even better, if you can add it IN THE SHOWER!
- SUNSCREEN EVERYDAY! Without doubt, we know that the sun can damage our skin in a very short period of time! Fifteen minutes and WHAM! got ya! Everyday, whether it’s in the Day Cream or the Sunscreen Lotion, there must be SPF15 or more! Personally, a daily SPF15 and foundation which contains SPF are part of my routine.
- DOUBLE CHECK. While you are adding that excellent moisture, notice if there are changes in your skin appearance or texture. If there are…treat them and if needed, go to the Doc!
- TREAT. If we are lucky and determined, we live longer. We may choose to, as my friend said, “look great for my age”. I agree with her that looking too young is unrealistic and stressful. Looking healthly and not older, is a much better option. Exfoliating regularly, applying suncreen every single day and using retinol laced products help us to achieve our best look. MOISTURE is most important, but applying it to clean, new skin is required. Choose treatments wisely, from eye creams to dark circle removers and skin tightening products… all require the above 4 steps before benefits can be noticed.
That’s the routine. Simple and straight-forward. Do it and benefit. Skip it and try to make up time later. Like I said… skin has some self-healing properties. It can rejuvinate with your attention to the details. I encourage you to make it part of your efforts to live better!